The history of the ABC chain
In the early days of co-op operations in 1920s and 1930s, SOK petrol was sold for example in Mellilä. The first service station store type outlets were opened in Somero and Hamina in the 1990s. Experiences derived from numerous excursions as well as project work by SOK and co-operative expert brought to the markets a new way of serving especially customers on the move but also local residents.
Why the name ABC?
The very first sketches of the service station store had a handsome pylon as a landmark on which the architect insisted a working name should be placed. ABC was chosen as the working name. As it happened, a suitable name for the chain could not be found during the first two customer tests. For the third round, Heikki Strandén, director of the then Ässähuoltamot (currently ABC chain) chain management asked that the working name ABC be included in the list of names tested. According to customer test group, ABC was by far the best for the upcoming chain and the rest is history.
ABC service station chain and fuel trade's milestones
- In 1998, a decision was made to build to ABC stations. At the end of the year, the first ABC service station store was opened in Utti and the first ABC unmanned station in Konala, Helsinki.
- In 2002, the chain already had 100 ABC stations
- In 2004. our own sourcing company North European Oil Trade Oy (NEOT) launched its fuel deliveries
- In 2004, ABC-Restaurant became the largest restaurant chain within the S Group by number of outlets with 60 ABC restaurants in total
- In 2004, ABC was granted the right to use the Key Flag label by the Association for Finnish Work
- In 2008, ABC was selected for the first time as Finland's most trusted service station chain in a reader survey commissioned by the Reader's Digest. Since then ABC has been chosen six times in a row as the most reliable service station chain by 2013.
- In 2009, ABC became Finland's number one fuel retailer
- In 2010, the 100th ABC service station store was opened
- In 2011, Eko E85 fuel was launched. The product was granted the right to use the Key Flag label the same year. Read more.
- In 2011, the first ABC GrilliMarket was opened in Sipoo
- In 2013, Smart Diesel was launched. Read more
- In 2015, Restaurants at ABC service stations start to use 100% Finnish meat.
In 2016, ABC mobile refuelling service is opened in S-mobiili, and the first Lähi-ABC stations start operating.
Nowadays, ABC is an S Group chain is both a comfortable break spot and a service centre providing daily services to nearby residents. We offer a modern and varied service network in Finland and the Åland Islands. You can refuel your vehicle at 443 ABC stations.
ABC chain comprises ABC service stations, ABC unmanned stations and ABC CarWashes.
ABC service station stores– One stop, many services
ABC service station stores serve you every day of the year including public holidays, some are even open 24/7. ABC service station stores also follow their normal service hours on all public holidays, such as at Christmas and Midsummer. There are 106 ABC service station stores across Finland.
In addition to a petrol station, ABC service station stores always include a restaurant with a diverse menu and an affordable grocery store. ABC's own restaurant and grocery store services are always open during the opening hours of the service station store. At the same time, ABC service station stores offer many other services, such as spacious and clean toilet facilities, childcare rooms and children's play area and, almost without exception, a free WLAN connection and often also a car wash. Some ABC service station stores also provide professional drivers, such as drivers of chartered and heavy vehicles, with resting places. Service station stores often also have other external service providers with their own opening hours. Those can be found from the website of the service provider.
Lähi-ABC services are primarily intended for local customers who can easily have something to eat, refuel and make small purchases. Lähi-ABC stations are mainly located in urban areas. Station services and opening hours vary, and they have been customised according to local demand.
Other service stations
Regional cooperatives in some localities operate smaller stores with a smaller range of services alongside the ABC fuel island and pumps.
Deli stores are HOK-Elanto's small shops designed specifically for urban environments. Most of them accompany an unmanned ABC station. Deli stores offer a convenient and fast way to buy groceries when filling up your car.
ABC unmanned stations
Unmanned ABC stations are located mainly beside S Group's larger outlets such as Prisma stores, S-markets and Sale stores. Unmanned ABC stations offer a quick and convenient way to refuel and earn rebate on fuel purchases.
Car wash facilities are mainly located alongside ABC service station stores and unmanned stations as well as Deli and Prisma stores. All ABC CarWash facilities are modern, clean and safe car wash outlets that offer an environmentally friendly way of getting your car clean. Check the location of car washes here.